Assisted and Supported Living Tenancies (19:XIII)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by the Law Students' Legal Advice Program on July 1, 2022.

The RTA does not cover tenancies in a community care facility under the Community Care and Assisted Living Act, in a continuing care facility under the Continuing Care Act, or in a housing-based health facility that provides hospitality support services and personal health care. This may exclude some Assisted Living facilities. Supportive Housing is covered by the RTA. As with any issue of jurisdiction, whether the RTA applies turns specifically on the facts of a tenancy and on whether any of the exemptions in RTA s 4.

NOTE: In September 2013, the B.C. Law Institute published a report after a three-year review regarding drafting legislation on Assisted Living and Residential Care tenancies. The Report on Assisted Living in British Columbia is available online at

Hospitality service may include meal services, laundry services, social and recreational opportunities or a 24-hour emergency response system. Personal care services would include assistance with eating, grooming, bathing, etc.; storage and distribution of medications; supervision of cash and property; nutrition monitoring; behaviour management; or psychosocial rehabilitation. Tenants and landlords entering into assisted/supported living arrangements not governed by the RTA should sign tenancy agreements and separate service agreements specifying which services are included and on what terms. A service agreement should cover:

  • the hospitality services and personal care services provided to each occupant of the rental unit;
  • the amount payable for these services and when it is due;
  • the landlord’s entry into the rental unit to provide services; and
  • whether there is a requirement for other occupants and guests to pay for services that are not needed.

More information on assisted living services can be found at the website of the Assisted Living Registry at

Fees for these services should not be part of a lump-sum monthly bill but should be set out separately from the rental fee. A landlord can increase the rent if the tenant agrees, or once a year by a percentage permitted by law. The landlord must give the tenant three whole rental months’ written notice before the effective date of the rent increase. A landlord will not be permitted to withdraw or restrict rental services if they are essential, or if they constitute material terms of the rental agreement.

© Copyright 2021, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.