Businesses, Non-Profits and Consumers (Covid-19)
|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. This page was last updated by Clicklaw team on May 19th, 2020 - 11:00 am PDT. |
As of December 14, 2020, we are no longer updating this page. Please use Clicklaw to find Covid-19 information related to your legal questions.
This page provides links to online resources dealing with the ways Covid-19 public health directives are affecting the lives of British Columbians.
This list is a starting point and is not meant to be exhaustive. It is not intended to give legal advice on your particular legal problem.
|Find information on the filing of court documents and applications during the recovery of court operations here: BC Courts: Court Filings & Procedures|
Common legal questions
Peoples Law School: People's Law School: Coronavirus: Your Legal Questions Answered
- Q&A on your legal rights, written by lawyers in plain language. Includes help for small business owners, cancelling flights, scams, and signing a contract or a will.
- A Q&A style article for questions concerning how COVID-19 will effect issues around consumer law and money, and small business
From Consumer Protection BC:
- How to request a deferral on your Autoplan payment plan
- How to report COVID-19 price gouging
- How to support Small Businesses
- Handling cash payments safely
Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: Examples of COVID-19 Frauds
Consumer Protection BC: Scam: No, your boss isn’t emailing you to transfer money
- An article about the a scam centred on the Coronavirus
Consumer Protection BC: COVID-19 and protecting yourself from fraud
- An article providing information about current scams, how to recognise them, and what to do when you encounter one.
Bank of Montreal: BMO update on COVID-19 phishing scams
- BMO list of scams that are currently being circulated and how to protect yourself from them
Canadian Business Resilience Network Business Resilience Service
- A free program that provides support to small- medium businesses, charity's and non-profits by connecting them to business advisors to share knowledge and guidance to help organizations through situations related to COVID-19.
Osler Law Firm The Employer’s COVID-19 Return to the Workplace Playbook
- A guide for employers navigating returning to work under COVID-19, includges information on safe and healthy workplaces, how to handle symptomatic employees, and accommodating employee requests not to return to work.
Government of Canada: Federal Support for Businesses
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan for Businesses
Government of Canada: Federal resources for reduced hours and work share
- Work-Sharing temporary special measures to support employers and workers affected by COVID-19, Employer tool-kits and information
Government of Canada: FAQ's Federal Wage Subsidy for Small Business
- Frequently asked questions about the federal governments 10% wage subsidy for small businesses.
Government of Canada: The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- The federal economic response plan wage subsidy
WorkSafe BC COVID-19 and returning to safe operation
- A guide that provides employers with information and resources to assist them in developing a plan that reduces the risk of exposure for returning to work safely
WorkSafe BC COVID-19 and What Employers Should Do
- A guide to helping employers create a safe healthy work space
Small Business BC: COVID-19 small business COVID-19 Support Service
- This resource is a one-stop for businesses that have questions about the supports available from the provincial and federal governments, industry and community partners
Small Business BC: BC Business COVID-19 Support Service
- Connecting businesses with the resources, and guidance necessary to navigate challenges from COVID-19.
Government of British Columbia: COVID-19 tax changes
- Information on provincial and revenue tax changes
Government of British Columbia: BC Leaves of Absence
- COVID-19 Leave of Absence information for Businesses
Government of British Columbia: BC's List of Essential Services
- BC's List of Essential Services and is maintained by Emergency Management BC in consultation with other government ministries and the Provincial Health Officer (PHO)
Employers Advisory Board, Ministry of Labour, B.C. Government: A newsletter by the Employers' Advisers Office
- Short newsletter that provides useful information for employers that covers changes to policy, practice, guidelines, and Workers Compensation Act revisions.
- BC Hydro's relief information for businesses effected by COVID-19
Non-profits and Artist run organisations
Worksafe BC Returning to work for Arts and Culture
- Worksafe BC has provided protocols to guide museums, art galleries, and libraries in creating safe and healthly work environments
- This article outlines the measures undertaken by the Federal and Provincial governments in response to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the employment supports available to Canada’s charitable sector.
BC Arts Council: COVID-19 Reponse
- Information from the BC Arts Council for artists and arts organisation
Alliance for the Arts: COVID-19 Resources
- A list of resources aimed at artists and arts organisations based in BC
Music BC: COVID-19 Response
- A list of resource aimed at musicians working in BC
Creative BC: Response to COVID-19
- Grants and support for musicians in living and working in BC
Mediate BC: Resolving other disputes in Quarantine
- Mediate BC staff will set fees to be paid by not-for-profit societies and businesses who may be parties to a mediation on a case by case basis. Given that many societies and businesses are experiencing considerable financial uncertainty at this time, these parties may also be assessed a low bono fee.
|Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians © Clicklaw and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.|