Debt, Taxes and Finances (Covid-19)
|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. This page was last updated by Clicklaw team on Aug 14, 2020 - 09:43 AM PDT.|
This page provides links to online resources dealing with the ways Covid-19 public health directives are affecting the lives of British Columbians.
This list is a starting point and is not meant to be exhaustive. It is not intended to give legal advice on your particular legal problem.
|Find information on the filing of court documents and applications during the recovery of court operations here: BC Courts: Court Filings & Procedures|
Common Legal Questions
People's Law School: Coronavirus: Your Legal Questions Answered
- Q&A on your legal rights, written by lawyers in plain language. Includes deferring bills, withdrawing money on your credit card, student loan payments, and filing taxes.
Justice Education Society: Legal Questions & Answers on COVID-19 - Consumers & Money
- This Q&A style resource includes answers to legal questions about financial difficulties concerning car insurance, hydro bills, income taxes, and student loans.
PovNet: COVID-19 Special Resources
- PovNet has compiled a resource list for people who have been affected by the pandemic. The list includes links to government financial supports and information about accommodations various utility providers are making for those struggling financially.
Credit Counselling Society: Coronavirus Financial Help & Resources
- This compiled list provides information on how loans, credit card debt, mortgages, taxes, utilities, and more have been effected by the pandemic and what institutions are doing to help.
BC Hydro: COVID-19 Response
- This page outlines the assistance available to BC Hydro customers who are facing financial hardship.
ICBC: COVID-19 update
- ICBC is offering deferrals on payments for those struggling financially due to the pandemic. The application is available online. Other services with ICBC, including insurance renewal, can also be completed online or over the phone rather than in-person.
Fortis BC: COVID-19 Support
- Outlines the ways Fortis BC is supporting their customers, including waiving late payment fees and preventing disconnections.
Canada Revenue Agency: Changes to Canadian taxes and benefits
- This page outlines the changes the CRA is making, including extending deadlines for income tax filing and payment dates.
Canada Revenue Agency: Collections, audit, objections, and appeals
- The CRA is making changes regarding debt collection, conducting audits, and tax appeals in light of the pandemic - this page provides more detail.
BC Government: Climate Action Tax Credit
- Information about the Climate Action Tax Credit, which will receive a one-time enhancement for moderate- to low-income families
National Student Loans Services Centre: COVID-19
- The NSLSC is suspending student loan payments and interest accrual until September 30, 2020. See this page for more details.
StudentAidBC: COVID-19 Response Information
- StudentAidBC is suspending payments until September 30, 2020. See their webpage for more information about repayment supports and available benefits to continuing students and those struggling financially.
|Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians © Clicklaw and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.|