Help, Services and More Information for Family Violence & Abuse
- Access Pro Bono Society of BC
- Provides free legal clinics where you can meet with a lawyer for half an hour at no charge, if you qualify. In some cases, a lawyer might agree to represent you in court.
Greater Vancouver: 604.878.7400. Toll Free in BC: 1.877.762-6664. www.accessprobono.ca
- Battered Women’s Support Services
- Offers support groups, advocacy, counselling and other support services.
Greater Vancouver: 604.687.1867. Toll Free in BC: 1.855.687.1868. http://www.bwss.org
- BC Housing
- Has listings for the transition houses, safe homes, and second-stage housing is available.
Greater Vancouver: 604.433.1711. Toll Free in BC: 1.866.465.6873. www.bchousing.org
- BC/Yukon Society of Transition Houses
- Offers safe temporary shelter to women and children experiencing family violence and abuse. Offers group and individual counselling for children and youth who witness family conflicts and violence.
Greater Vancouver: 604.669.6943. Toll Free in BC: 1.800.661.1040. www.bcsth.ca
- Provides searchable access to key legal information. Search “Solve Problems”.www.clicklaw.bc.ca
- Court Orientation, Preparation, and Accompaniment
- A section of the Ministry of Justice website that provides information about going to court as a witness. It includes information about victim impact statements, and court orientation.
- Online and telephone scripts about the law. To read or listen on the Internet, go to the Dial-A-Law website and select topics such as family law.
- Domestic ViolenceBC.ca
- This government website has information on how to get help through VictimLinkBC, how to find a transition house or safe home, and how to get legal help.
- Family Justice Centres
- Offers information about parenting orders, protection orders, emotional support, short-term counselling, referrals to emergency and community services.
Greater Vancouver: 604.660.2421. Victoria: 250.387.6121. Toll Free in BC: 1.800.663.7867. www.justicebc.ca/en/fam/help/fjc/index.html
- Family LawLINE
- Telephone advice line staffed by lawyers paid by legal aid.
Greater Vancouver: 604.408.2172. Toll Free in BC: 1.866.577.2525. www.lss.bc.ca/legal_aid/FamilyLawLINE.php
- Justice Access Centre
- If you live in Vancouver, Victoria or Nanaimo, a Justice Access Centre (JAC) can provide legal information and help you find out about free legal advice.
- Greater Vancouver: 604.660.2084. Toll free: 1.800.663.7867 and ask to be put through to 604.660.2084.
- Victoria: 250.356.7012. Toll free outside Victoria: 1.800.663.7867 and ask to be connected to 250.356.7012.
- Nanaimo: 250.741.5447 or 1.800.578.8511.
- JusticeBC has clear basic information about British Columbia’s justice system. The section on family law includes how to get help in cases of family violence.
- JP Boyd on Family Law
- This wikibook from Courthouse Libraries BC provides practical, in-depth coverage of family law and divorce law in British Columbia.
- Lawyer Referral Service
- This service gives you the name of a local lawyer. You call the lawyer to request a meeting. Cost is $25 plus taxes for up to a half-hour meeting. If you need more help, ask what the lawyer charges per hour and request an estimate of the total cost.
Greater Vancouver: 604.687.3221. Toll Free in BC: 1.800.663.1919. www.cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Lawyer-Referral-Service
- Legal aid - Legal Services Society (LSS)
- Provides a range of free services including legal information, legal advice, and a lawyer to represent you in serious family problems if you qualify.
Greater Vancouver: 604.687.3221. Toll Free in BC: 1.800.663.1919. www.familylaw.lss.bc.ca legalaid.bc.ca/legal_aid/
Legal Services Society also publishes these booklets:
- Living Together or Living Apart
- Surviving Relationship Violence and Abuse:
- For your Protection: Peace Bonds and Family Law Protection Orders:
- Family Law in BC
- A Legal Services Society website that provides a great deal of information on family law. Many of the resources are published in a variety of languages.
- Fact sheets in the following topics are available on the section about abuse and family violence at
- If your sponsor abuses you
- What to do about money
- Safety planning
- Protection orders
- Ministry of Justice services for information
- Violence Against Women Counselling and Outreach Programs:
- Stalking and criminal harassment: This information on the Ministry of Justice website explains how to recognize criminal harassment, ways to increase your safety, and actions you can take, including how to get protection orders.
- Has resources and information to help victims of crime as well as witnesses to a crime. Provides information in six languages.
- VictimLinkBC and Access to Victim Service Workers
- Province-wide telephone help.
Free Toll: 1.800.563.0808. www.victimlinkbc.ca
- Vancouver and Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services
- Free and confidential services for immigrant, visible minorities and refugee women who are experiencing family violence.
Greater Vancouver: 604.436.1025. www.vlmfss.ca
|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by People's Law School, 2014.|
|Family Violence & Abuse © People's Law School is, except for the images, licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.|