Housing and Tenancy (Covid-19)
|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. This page was last updated by Clicklaw team on Aug 14, 2020 - 10:53 AM PDT.|
This page provides links to online resources dealing with the ways Covid-19 public health directives are affecting the lives of British Columbians.
This list is a starting point and is not meant to be exhaustive. It is not intended to give legal advice on your particular legal problem.
|Find information on the filing of court documents and applications during the recovery of court operations here: BC Courts: Court Filings & Procedures|
Common Legal Questions
People's Law School: Coronavirus: Your Legal Questions Answered
- Q&A on your legal rights, written by lawyers in plain language. It includes information on rental assistance, evictions, mortgage assistance, and assistance to vulnerable community members.
Legal Aid BC: Q&A Mortgage and Rent
- This Q&A style guide answers frequently asked legal questions regarding evictions, rent, mortgages, and rent increases.
Community Legal Assistance Society: FAQ: COVID-19 and BC Government Measures to Help Renters
- This Q&A style guide answers some frequently asked legal questions regarding topics such as supplementing rent payments, the evictions ban, and the rent freeze.
Justice Education Society: Legal Questions and Answers on COVID-19 - Housing
- This Q&A style resource includes answers to legal questions concerning rent payment difficulties, evictions, access to rental units, and mortgage assistance.
Office of the Human Rights Commissioner: Frequently Asked Questions
- This Q&A style guide covers a number of topics including employment, tenancy, and access to residential institutions. Question 13 specifically discusses being unable to pay rent due to financial difficulties caused by the current state of emergency.
PovNet: COVID-19 Special Resources
- This list has resources about a variety of legal topics including housing and is being continually updated.
BC Residential Tenancy Branch: Covid-19 and Tenancies
- Information about changes made to the Residential Tenancy Act that will be in effect for the duration of the provincial state of emergency. Answers to questions related to paying rent and evictions, rent increases, accessing rental units common areas, and serving documents and applying for dispute resolution during the pandemic.
BC Housing: BC-Temporary Rental Supplement Program
- Application for the BC-Temporary Rental Supplement (BC-TRS) Program is continuing through August. The program provides up to $500 per month for renters and landlords struggling financially as a result of the pandemic.
- Consumer Protection BC also has an article about How to apply for BC Housing's BC Temporary Rental Supplement Program
BC Housing: Rental Assistance Programs
- BC Housing has two programs to help renters: the Rental Assistance Program (RAP) and Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER). Both of these programs are making temporary changes during the COVID-19 pandemic, including adjustments of monthly benefits and the waiving of the 12 month BC Residency requirement for applicants who meet all other eligibility criteria.
BC Rent Bank: COVID-19
- Established by Vancity Community Fund, BC Rent Bank is working in partnership with existing rent banks throughout BC to offer housing support and homelessness prevention services until Sept 30, 2020
Sources Rent Bank: Our Services
- The Sources Rent Bank can provide a one-time loan to low-income people in Surrey, White Rock, Langley, and Delta. More information on eligibility and the application form can be found on their website.
British Columbia Civil Liberties Association: Your Rights in a Pandemic
- BCCLA has created a factsheet to educate tenants about their right to privacy during the state of emergency.
MediateBC: Quarantine Conflict Resolution Service
- This mediation service is available to those living in close quarters during the pandemic, such as family, friends, roommates, as well as landlords/tenants, cooperative and social housing, conflicts in work from home teams, and neighbours. The intake form is available online and the services are provided on a sliding scale.
Mortgage Payments and Deferrals
Thompson Rivers Faculty of Law: COVAID for Homeowners
- This website gives you personalized legal information regarding mortgage deferrals for those struggling with making payments due to the pandemic.
Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation: COVID-19: Understanding Mortgage Payment Deferral
- The CMHC has compiled this resource to help homeowners understand their mortgage payment deferral options during the pandemic. Also see their other pages on mortgage assistance:
- Dealing with Mortgage Payment Difficulties
- I Can't Pay my Mortgage, What are my Options?
- What does the IMPP Emergency Measure Do?
Strata Management, Co-ops and Landlords
LandlordBC: COVID-19: Keeping Landlords Informed
- This resource has brought together information to help landlords communicate with their tenants and manage their properties during the pandemic.
Co-operative Housing Federation of BC: COVID-19 Pandemic Advice
- The CHFBC has compiled this plain-language list of resources to give guidance and financial supports to co-ops and their members.
BC Government: COVID-19 Information for Strata Housing
- This page on the BC Government's website provides information about strata council, owners', and property managers' responsibilities, and cleaning guidelines.
Condominium Home Owners Association of BC: COVID-19 Bulletins & Information for Strata Corporations
- The CHOA has compiled this list of bulletins about how to safely conduct Strata meetings during the pandemic. The list is being updated regularly and links to individual bulletins.
Real Estate Council of BC: COVID-19 Guidance for Real Estate Professional
- The RECBC has created this page to bring together their resources and Q&A guides. Also see their recent news release about recommended health and safety protocols from WorkSafe BC.
- Health and Safety Protocols for Real Estate Services Released
BC Real Estate Association: COVID-19: Resources for REALTORS
- This page lists resources to guide real estate boards and realtors operations during the pandemic.
Non-Profits and Transitional Housing
Canadian Network for the Health and Housing of People Experiencing Homelessness: Coronavirus COVID-19 Resources
- This list of resources was compiled to assist facilities, housing services, and other advocates who assist people experiencing homelessness during the pandemic.
BC Society of Transition Housing: Health & Safety: COVID-19
- This plain-language page compiles resources for housing and anti-violence advocates.
BC Non-Profit Housing Association: BCNPHA COVID-19 / Coronavirus Update
- Designed for non-profit housing and service provides, this resource compiles financial supports and governmental aids available.
Women's Shelter Canada: Resources for Shelters and Transition Houses During COVID-19
- This page for advocates brings together information about federal funding opportunities and other resources available for women's shelters.
|Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians © Clicklaw and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.|