|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. This page was last updated by Clicklaw team on September 4, 2020 - 02:39 PM PDT. |
As of December 14, 2020, we are no longer updating this page. Please use Clicklaw to find Covid-19 information related to your legal questions.
This page provides links to online resources dealing with the ways Covid-19 public health directives are affecting the lives of British Columbians.
This list is a starting point and is not meant to be exhaustive. It is not intended to give legal advice on your particular legal problem.
|Find information on the filing of court documents and applications during the recovery of court operations here: BC Courts: Court Filings & Procedures|
Common legal questions
Aboriginal Legal Aid BC: Your legal questions answered
- This Q&A style guide answers common legal questions from Indigenous people about children, parenting, and Gladue reports.
People's Law School: Coronavirus: Your Legal Questions Answered
- Q&A on your legal rights, written by lawyers in plain language. Includes getting paid, temporary layoff, taking time off work, options when being self-employed, employees rights.
Legal help & lawyers
Legal Aid BC: Legal Aid Services
- During Covid-19 Legal Aid is providing phone-only services.
- To apply for legal aid call 604-408-2172 or 1-866-577-2525, or contact your local legal aid agent who can be found on the Legal Services Society website.
Legal Aid BC: Legal system under COVID-19
- Links to resources about legal aid applications, child protection and parents legal centres, First Nations/Indigenous courts, and Native Courtworkers.
Indigenous Community Legal Clinic: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
- This free legal resource for Indigenous people seeking legal help is currently working remotely, over phone and email.
- Phone: 604-822-1311
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Native Courtworker and Counselling Association of British Columbia: Coronavirus Response
- Contact information for Native Courtworker support in communities around the province during the court closure.
- Q&A covering the impact of Covid-19 on child protection, parenting arrangements, and Gladue reports.
Indigenous Services Canada: Jordan's Principle
- Jordan's Principle services will continue during the COVID-19 state of emergency. This page has more information about Jordan's Principle.
Financial benefits & support
Indigenous Services Canada: Accessing Financial Benefits and Support during the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Information on how to access financial benefits for individuals, families, communities, those who are unable to work, seniors, students, and businesses.
Indigenous Services Canada: Examples of how COVID-19 supports can help Indigenous individuals
- This resource provides links to the government supports that individuals with different financial and family circumstances are eligible to access.
First Nations Leadership Council: Quick Guide for Individuals: COVID-19 Response Plan
- A regularly updated information page that outlines the available government supports during Covid-19 and how to access them.
BC Public Service Secretariat: Resources for All BC First Nation Individuals
- A list of financial resources and benefits available from the federal and provincial governments to Indigenous individuals in BC.
BC Public Service Secretariat: Personal Income Tax Returns for BC First Nations
- Information and tips on filing personal income tax returns to help people secure their Covid-19 benefits and credits.
Indigenous Services Canada: COVID-19 - How Indigenous people can access services and new benefits
- This video from Indigenous Canada describes how Indigenous people can access financial support using the Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan. The Indigenous Services Canada YouTube channel has more videos about COVID-19 in many different languages.
Businesses & non-profits
First Nations Leadership Council: Quick Guide for Businesses: COVID-19 Response Plan
- Updated information about Federal and Provincial government supports for Indigenous businesses.
Resources for community leaders
First Nations Leadership Council: FNLC COVID-19 Guidance Package for Leaders
- A guide for community leaders on how to prepare and respond to a Covid-19 outbreak. It includes information on accessing emergency funding, managing group gatherings, community closures, maintaining essential services, and specific supports for rural and remote communities.
First Nations Health Authority: COVID-19: BC First Nations Community Guide for Additional Supports Needed
- A guide for First Nations in BC on how to access additional funding and health supports during Covid-19, including guidelines for acquiring, using, and storing personal protective equipment.
Indigenous Services Canada: COVID-19: First Nations Community Guide on Accessing Additional Supports
- Information and guidance on how Indigenous communities can access additional funding during Covid-19 and how they can prepare for an outbreak in their community, including information about obtaining personal protective equipment.
Federal Indian Day School Class Action
Federal Indian Day School Class Action: Community Assistance Sessions by Video Conference
- An update on how to receive assistance on completing the Federal Indian Day School Class Action claim forms during Covid-19. In-person assistance has been suspended during the pandemic, but virtual info sessions and legal support is still being offered.
|Covid-19 Resources for British Columbians © Clicklaw and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.|