Interjurisdictional Support Orders (3:X)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

Parents living in different provinces or countries can apply for or enforce support orders without needing to travel to the other jurisdiction. Under the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act, SBC 2002, c 29, many jurisdictions have agreed to recognize family support (maintenance) orders and agreements made elsewhere. British Columbia has reciprocal agreements with all Canadian provinces and territories and with several foreign countries.

For a list of all reciprocating jurisdictions, see the Schedule in the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Regulations, BC Reg 15/2003 at

Appeals of decisions made under this Act must be made within 90 days of the ruling (s 36(5)) but, despite this, the Court to which an appeal is made may extend the appeal period before or after the appeal period has expired (s 36(6)). The website provides a questionnaire under the heading “forms select” to determine which application forms are required for a client’s specific situation. Forms can be accessed online or be mailed to you. A guide to filling out the forms can be found at Completed forms can be submitted to:

Reciprocals Office

Vancouver Main Office Boxes

P.O. Box 2074

Vancouver, B.C. V6B 3S3

In BC, Family Justice Counsellors have the ability to track the status of Interjurisdictional Support Order (ISO) applications. If an applicant has questions on the status of their ISO application, they can talk to a Family Justice Counsellor at their local Family Justice Centre. To find the nearest Centre, call Enquiry B.C. at (604) 660-2421 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, and ask the operator to transfer you to a Family Justice Centre.

© Copyright 2017, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.

Personal tools