Open main menu

Clicklaw Wikibooks β

LSLAP File Administrative Policy – Small Claims (20:App M)

This chapter is specific to LSLAP clinicians. It sets out internal LSLAP practice and policy regarding Small Claims.

1. Representation (LSLAP Assistance)Edit

The general rule is that parties are not allowed to have a representative, without asking for CRT permission, unless they are a minor or someone with impaired mental capacity. If a party is wanting to request a representative they can request one in the online intake system or by filling out a Representation Request Form, which can be found at the following link:

If a party is using a lawyer as their representative, the lawyer will be able to communicate with the CRT on their behalf.

CRT parties can also hire a lawyer and use them as a helper. If they are using a lawyer as a helper, the lawyer will not be able to speak on their behalf. The CRT also won’t be able to talk to your helper about your case; the tribunal’s communications are with the parties themselves. A helper can help them keep organized, take notes, provide you with emotional support, help you fill out online forms, as well as other tasks. For LSLAPs’ purposes, we can provide legal advice to the party while the CRT matter is underway. This includes advising how to draft pleadings, corresponding with the other party, advising on settlement offers, and drafting submissions that the party can present on their own to the CRT.