Tenancy and Income Assistance, Taxation, and Rental Housing (19:XVI)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by the Law Students' Legal Advice Program on July 1, 2022.

A. Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER)

The SAFER program is a rental assistance program administered by BC Housing. It is intended to help senior citizens (i.e. people over 60). Applicants must be Canadian citizens, authorized to take up permanent residence in Canada, or Convention refugees. Applicants must have lived in B.C. for at least one year prior to applying. An applicant must also be paying over 30 percent of their income towards rent. There is a gross monthly income requirement that varies depending on the location of residence and is subject to being updated.

Residents of subsidized housing, cooperative housing, and manufactured homes (unless they are renting both the trailer home and the pad) do not qualify for the SAFER program.

More information and application forms are available from B.C. Housing. Application forms are available in English and Chinese. Application forms may be obtained from the SAFER’s webpage at:

https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/rental-assistance-programs/SAFER or contact BC Housing.

B.C. Housing
Suite 101 - 4555 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C. V5H 4V8
Toll-free: 1-800-257-7756
Lower Mainland: 604-433-2218

B. BC Housing Corporation’s Family Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

The Rental Assistance Program provides eligible low-income, working families with at least one dependent child with assistance to help pay their rent. The maximum gross annual household income level is $ 40,000. A child up to age 25 qualifies as dependant as long as the child is attending school. A child of any age with mental or physical infirmity is accepted as a dependant.

A rental assistance calculator is available on the RAP website as well as other information and application forms see www.bchousing.org/Options/Rental_market/RAP or contact B.C. Housing (above).

© Copyright 2021, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.