The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
|This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by the Law Students' Legal Advice Program on June 30, 2021.
1. Print Resources
Heather MacDonald and Marguerite Mousseau. Workers’ Compensation in British Columbia, (LexisNexis Canada, 2009)
- A comprehensive overview of the workers' compensation system in British Columbia, written by two members of the WCAT, the senior appeal tribunal.
2. Internet Resources
- The Board’s own site contains a wealth of material, including the complete Claims Manual, Appeal Division decisions (since January 1, 2000), the complete Reporter series of decisions, and most of the reports and documents listed above. It also has decisions of the old Appeal Division and the Review Division, and statistics and resources.
- A policy and legislation page is located at http://www.worksafebc.com/law_and_policy with links to an online version of the Act, recent amendments, and various policy and practice materials. This is the most practical way to research current policies and practices, including the Board’s two-volume compensation policy manual, which has the force of law.
- To keep updated with changed WCB policies, visit the “Table of Effective Dates & Application of Published Compensation Policy” at
Workers’ Advisor’s Office
- This site, which is part of the Ministry of Labour, contains excellent plain language summaries of the key aspects of the system written for the average claimant, and other material as well. This service is free for anyone who is not represented by a union.
Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- This site provides information about WCAT and various aspects of Workers’Compensation appeal matters. The “How to Appeal” section provides information on how to appeal, enables access to various appeal forms and provides internet links to WCAT publications as well as other resources that can assist in the appeal process. It also contains WCAT decisions, as well as forms required for appeal.
- The Post Decision Guide on the website provides information on what can happen after WCAT makes a decision and how to request reconsideration. You can find previous decisions here.
- All of WCAT’s previous decisions are public, and can be found at: here.
- To apply for reconsideration, visit this page.
Workers’ Compensation Advocacy Group
An informal organization open to all advocates for injured workers, including union representatives, private and legal aid lawyers, workers’ advisors, injured workers’ group leaders, and others. The group meets monthly, and as a recognized stakeholder for injured workers, is regularly consulted by WCB and government about WCB matters.
||300 - 1140 West Pender Street |
Vancouver, BC V6E 4G1
||(604) 685-3425 |
Fax: (604) 685-7611
PovNet’s wcb-bc Email List
- For more information, contact Jim Sayre at email@example.com, or Penny Goldsmith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PovNet sponsors an interactive, confidential email list for workers’ advocates. The list enables members to post questions and information about WCB cases and matters, and to respond to other members’ postings.
BC Federation of Labour
The BC Federation of Labour represents more than half a million workers through affiliated unions in more than 800 locals, working in every aspect of the BC economy.
||# 200-5118 Joyce Street |
Vancouver, BC V5R 4H1
||(604) 430-1420 |
Fax: (604) 430-5917
Criminal Law · Youth Justice · Family Law · Victims · Public Complaints Procedures · Human Rights · Workers Compensation
Employment Insurance · Employment Law · Creditors and Debtors · Consumer Protection · Auto Insurance (ICBC) · Motor Vehicle Law · Mental Health Law
Adult Guardianship and Substitute Decision-Making · Wills and Estates · Citizenship · Immigration · Landlord and Tenant Rights · Small Claims · Welfare Law · Referrals
|© Copyright 2021, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.