Authorization for Representatives at the Employment Insurance Commission (8:XVII)
A. What LSLAP Can Do
The following is a summary of what LSLAP students can help with:
- Assist a client with an initial application;
- Assist a client with an application for training benefits or write-off of debt;
- Assist a client with an application for Reconsideration
- Appeal any unfavourable decision by the Commission:
- write a Notice of Appeal;
- prepare for an appeal to the General Division;
- appear at hearing before the General Division;
- Assist a client with an appeal to the Minister of National Revenue;
- Appeal unfavourable decisions by the General Division to the Appeal Division; and
- Help clients cut off from EI benefits write a letter of complaint to their MP.
B. What LSLAP Cannot Do
LSLAP cannot represent clients seeking judicial review of decisions made by the Appeal Division, because these are argued in the Federal Court of Appeal (and then, in the event of a further appeal, the Supreme Court of Canada). LSLAP students cannot appear before these courts. Clients can be referred to the Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS), as qualified legal counsel will be required.