Referrals and Follow-up regarding Victims of Crime (4:IX)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

If you refer the victim to a lawyer, social service agency, or health professional, remember to follow up to ensure that the victim is looked after. A simple phone call to the victim should suffice. Should you need to consult with a professional (for instance, a psychiatrist) about a victim’s ongoing case, you need to have the victim sign a written release form authorizing you to collect information about them, or on their behalf. The referrals below are for more specific types of victims than the referrals at the beginning of the chapter:

Ministry of Child and Family Development - The Helpline for Children

To report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect.

Online Website
Phone 310-1234 (no area code needed)

Ministry of Child and Family Development - After Hours Services

Refers those in crisis situations to food and emergency housing resources (after office hours and weekends).

Online Website
Phone Vancouver, North Shore, and Richmond:
(604) 660-4927
Rest of the Lower Mainland, from Burnaby and Delta to Maple Ridge and Langley:
(604) 660-8180
Elsewhere in B.C.:

General Ministry Inquiries

Online Email:
Phone 1-877-387-7027

Provincial Government Referral Service

Phone Victoria: (250) 387-6121
Metro Vancouver: (604) 660-2421
Elsewhere in BC: 1 800 663-7867

Seniors First BC (Formerly British Columbia Centre for Elder Advocacy Support (BCCEAS))

Province-wide service with an advocacy help line, information and referrals.

Online Website
Phone (604) 437-1940
Toll-Free: 1-866-437-1940

VictimLink BC

VictimLink BC is available 24 hours, seven days a week and has information about and referrals to a number of support systems that are available to victims of crime.

Online Website
Phone Toll-Free: 1-800-563-0808
TTY: (604) 875-0885

UBC Life & Career Centre (Formerly the UBC Women’s Resources Centre)

Information and referral, counselling support groups for women, stress management, depression. Abusers may also be referred here.

Address UBC Robson Square, 800 Robson Street, Plaza Level, Room 1.400
Vancouver, BC V6Z 3B7
Phone (604) 822-8585

The Surrey Women's Centre

Online [ ]
Phone (604) 822-8585

  • The Surrey Women’s Centre has a mobile assault response team that provides services over the phone and in-person to anyone who has experienced a physical or sexual assault. They are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. You do not have to go to the hospital or make a police report to use their services.


Phone 604-255-6344

  • WAVAW provides support services to survivors of sexualized violence who have shared experiences of gender marginalization: cis and trans women, Two-Spirit, trans and/or non-binary people. They advocate for social and systemic change through education, outreach and activism.
© Copyright 2017, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.

Personal tools