How Do I Find Out if I'm Divorced?

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

If your or your spouseUnder the ''Divorce Act'', either of two people who are married to one another, whether of the same or opposite genders. Under the ''Family Law Act'', married spouses, unmarried parties who have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years, and, for all purposes of the act other than the division of property or debt, unmarried parties who have lived together for less than two years but have had a child together. See "marriage" and "marriage-like relationship." has started a divorceThe legal termination of a valid marriage by an order of a judge; the ending of a marital relationship and the conjugal obligations of each spouse to the other. See "conjugal rights," "marriage," and "marriage, validity of." actionA court proceeding in which one party sues another for a specific remedy or relief, also called a "lawsuit" or a "case." An action for divorce, for example, is a court proceeding in which the claimant sues the respondent for the relief of a divorce order. and you want to know whether or not your divorce orderA mandatory direction of the court, binding and enforceable upon the parties to a court proceeding. An "interim order" is a temporary order made following the hearing of an interim application. A "final order" is a permanent order, made following the trial of the court proceeding or the parties' settlement, following which the only recourse open to a dissatisfied party is to appeal. See "appeal," "consent order," "decision" and "declaration." has gone through, just call the family registryA central office, located in each judicial district, at which the court files for each court proceeding in that district are maintained, and at which legal documents can be filed, searched and reviewed; a courthouse. of the courthouse that the action was started in. Ask them if your order has been approved yet, and, if not, when you can expect it to be approved.

If you and your spouse have been separated for a long time, and you want to find out whether your spouse ever applied for a divorce, contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings in Ottawa, Ontario. They're the folks who keep track of all Canadian divorce actions. You will need to complete the form located on their website with the relevant details about you, your partner, and your relationship, and send it to:

Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings
Department of Justice Canada
284 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0H8

K1P 5W7

You can find out more about divorce in the chapter Separation & Divorce within the section Divorce.

Creativecommonssmall.png JP Boyd on Family Law © John-Paul Boyd and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.
Personal tools