LSLAP File Administrative Policy – Small Claims (20:App M)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

This chapter is specific to LSLAP clinicians. It sets out internal LSLAP practice and policy regarding Small Claims.

1. Representation (LSLAP Assistance)

The general rule is that parties are not allowed to have a representative, without asking for CRT permission, unless they are a minorA person who is younger than the legal age of majority, 19 in British Columbia. Not to be confused with "miner." See "age of majority." or someone with impaired mental capacity. If a partyIn law, a person named as an applicant, claimant, respondent or third party in a court proceeding; someone asserting a claim in a court proceeding or against whom a claim has been brought. See "action" and "litigant." is wanting to request a representative they can request one in the online intake system or by filling out a Representation Request Form, which can be found at the following link:

If a party is using a lawyerA person licensed to practice law in a particular jurisdiction. See "barrister and solicitor." as their representative, the lawyer will be able to communicate with the CRT on their behalf.

CRT parties can also hire a lawyer and use them as a helper. If they are using a lawyer as a helper, the lawyer will not be able to speak on their behalf. The CRT also won’t be able to talk to your helper about your caseIn law, a court proceeding; a lawsuit; an action; a cause of action; a claim. Also the historic decisions of the court. See "action," "case law, " "court proceeding," and "precedent."; the tribunal’s communications are with the parties themselves. A helper can help them keep organized, take notes, provide you with emotional support, help you fill out online forms, as well as other tasks. For LSLAPs’ purposes, we can provide legal advice to the party while the CRT matter is underway. This includes advising how to draftA preliminary version of a document; an order prepared following judgment submitted to the court for its approval; to prepare, or ''draw,'' a legal document. pleadings, corresponding with the other party, advising on settlementA resolution of one or more issues in a court proceeding or legal dispute with the agreement of the parties to the proceeding or dispute, usually recorded in a written agreement or in an order that all parties agree the court should make. A court proceeding can be settled at any time before the conclusion of trial. See "action," "consent order," "family law agreements" and "offer." offers, and drafting submissions that the party can present on their own to the CRT.

Personal tools