Family Justice Centres

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
A BC government service, Family Justice Centres have counsellors who can provide information and assistance with family-related legal issues such as parenting arrangements, custody, access, guardianship, child and spousal support and no-contact orders. They cannot assist with strictly Supreme Court issues such as divorce or property division. Centres in Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, Kamloops, Kelowna, New Westminster, Prince George, and Surrey provide legal advice through family advice lawyers. Nanaimo, Victoria, and Vancouver locations also offer expanded self-help services through the Justice Access Centres.
Phone 1-800-663-7867 (EnquiryBC, ask the operator to transfer you)
Find on Clicklaw Family Justice Centres on Clicklaw HelpMap

In law, to formally deliver documents to a person in a manner that complies with the applicable rules of court. Service may be ordinary (mailed or delivered to a litigant's address for service), personal (hand-delivered to a person), or substituted (performed in a way other than the rules normally require). See "address for delivery," "ordinary service," "personal service," and "substituted service."

A term under the Family Law Act which describes the arrangements for parental responsibilities and parenting time among guardians, made in an order or agreement. "Parenting arrangements" does not include contact. See "contact," "guardian," "parental responsibilities," and "parenting time."

In family law, an antiquated term used by the Divorce Act to describe the right to possess a child and make parenting decisions concerning the child's health, welfare, and upbringing. See "access."

Under the Divorce Act, the schedule of a parent's time with their children under an order or agreement. Access usually refers to the schedule of the parent with the least amount of time with the child. See "custody."

A payment made by one spouse, the payor, to the other spouse, the recipient, to help with their day-to-day living expenses or to compensate the recipient for the financial choices the spouses made during the relationship.

A term under the Family Law Act that describes the visitation rights of a person, who is not a guardian, with a child. Contact may be provided by court order or by the agreement among the child's guardians who have parental responsibility for determining contact. See "guardian" and "parental responsibilities."

The legal termination of a valid marriage by an order of a judge; the ending of a marital relationship and the conjugal obligations of each spouse to the other. See "conjugal rights," "marriage," and "marriage, validity of."

Something which can be owned. See "chattels" and "real property."

Personal tools