I Have No Money for Food or Shelter

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction ("the Ministry") is responsible for providing welfare support in BC, which includes income assistance benefits, disability assistance for Persons with Disabilities ("PWD"), and benefits for Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers to Employment ("PPMB"). The one exception is where the applicant lives on an Indian reserve. For anyone living on reserve, welfare programs are the responsibility of Indigenous Services Canada (formerly called Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada) and are administered by First Nations bands and tribal councils.

Both the Ministry and Indigenous Services Canada can provide funds for shelter and support to people who qualify for regular welfare benefits, including disability benefits (see the section in this Guide "I need to apply for disability benefits"). In some cases, they can also provide hardship benefits for people who don't qualify for regular welfare benefits. Workers at the Ministry and First Nations bands will also know about emergency shelters in the area.

If you live on reserve, call the First Nations band office and ask to speak to the social development worker. This person can help with your application for welfare.

First steps[edit]

  1. Applying for welfare in BC has two stages. You can start the first stage in three ways:
    • by calling the Ministry Call Centre at 1-866-866-0800, and telling them that you want to apply for welfare,
    • by completing the welfare application process online at www.myselfserve.gov.bc.ca (you must know your SIN number to apply online, have an email address, and create a BCeID user account ), or
    • by going in person to a Ministry office.
  2. At this first stage:
    • if you are leaving an abusive situation (e.g. emotional, financial, physical or other abuse from a spouse, partner or other relative), it is important to tell the Ministry worker right away. The Ministry should schedule the second stage of your welfare application, called an eligibility interview, within one business day, and give you some help with food, shelter or medical attention before your eligibility interview if you have urgent needs.
    • if you have an urgent need for shelter, food or medical help (like paying for a prescription), and cannot wait between three to five weeks to start receiving welfare benefits, then you need to tell the Ministry worker. Ask for an Immediate Needs Assessment. If you are eligible for an Immediate Needs Assessment, the Ministry should complete your eligibility interview as soon as possible, within five business days. While you are waiting for your eligibility interview, the Ministry should make sure your immediate needs are met (for example, by giving you food vouchers, money or bus tickets if you need medical transportation, etc.).
As of May 2017, Ministry offices and the Call Centre were experiencing significant backlogs, causing delays in Immediate Needs Assessments. If you are in serious need and are not getting a prompt response from the Ministry (including the Call Centre), speak with an advocate.

What happens next[edit]

After finishing the first stage of the welfare application, most people have to spend three or five weeks looking for work, and provide the Ministry with proof of their work search. During those three to five weeks you do not receive any financial help from the Ministry. A five week work search applies if neither you nor your partner have received welfare in BC before. A three week work search applies if you or your partner have previously received welfare in BC. Once your work search is over, you move on to an eligibility interview with the Ministry, which is a detailed interview, in person or by phone, to see if you are eligible for income assistance or hardship benefits.

If you qualify for welfare, the Ministry should get funds to you shortly after your eligibility interview. If you don't qualify for regular welfare, you may still qualify for hardship assistance. Some kinds of hardship assistance (but not all) must be repaid to the Ministry.

One exception to the requirement to do a three or five week work search before the eligibility interview with the Ministry is if you have an urgent need for shelter, food or medical attention. There are other exceptions, like single parents with a child under three, people 65 or over, or those with a physical or medical condition that precludes them from looking for work.. For a full list of people who do not have to do a three or five week work search, see the BC Employment and Assistance (BCEA) Application Policy.

Where to get help[edit]

See the Resource List in this Guide for a list of helpful resources. Your best bets are:

Before meeting with a lawyer or advocate, complete the form Preparing for Your Interview included in this Guide. Make sure you bring copies of all documents relating to your case.

This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by Alison Ward, March 2018.

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence Legal Help for British Columbians © Cliff Thorstenson and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.

In law, a legal incapacity to do certain things, like enter into a contract or start a court proceeding. Legal disabilities include insanity and being under the age of majority. See "age of majority."

In law, a lawyer's bill to their client or a statement; one person's recollection of events.

Under the Divorce Act, either of two people who are married to one another, whether of the same or opposite genders. Under the Family Law Act, married spouses, unmarried parties who have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years, and, for all purposes of the act other than the division of property or debt, unmarried parties who have lived together for less than two years but have had a child together. See "marriage" and "marriage-like relationship."

A request to the court that it make a specific order, usually on an interim or temporary basis, also called a "chambers application" or a "motion." See also "interim application" and "relief."

A method of calculating time under which the days for a legal deadline are determined based on when the court is open for business, excluding weekends and holidays. See "calendar days" and "clear days."

A lawyer or a person other than a lawyer who helps clients with legal issues; to argue a position on behalf of a client.

Evidence which establishes or tends to establish the truth of a fact; also, the conclusion of a logical argument. See "evidence" and "premises."

A person licensed to practice law in a particular jurisdiction. See "barrister and solicitor."

In law, a court proceeding; a lawsuit; an action; a cause of action; a claim. Also the historic decisions of the court. See "action," "case law, " "court proceeding," and "precedent."

Personal tools