Resource List for Legal Help for British Columbians

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
(Redirected from Resource List)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.

Here is an alphabetical list of the best sources of legal information, assistance, advice and representation for low-income clients in British Columbia.

Contact information for government services is available through:

Provincial Service BC Phone:

Lower Mainland: 604-660-2421
Victoria: 250-387-6121
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-663-7867
Outside BC: 604-660-2421

Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD):

Lower Mainland: 604-775-0303
Elsewhere in BC: 1-800-661-8773

Federal Service Canada Phone:


Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD):


For a list of toll-free phone numbers for law-related help in BC, see Find Someone to Talk With on Clicklaw.

This Guide refers to many websites for further legal information. To find a free public access computer, try visiting your local public library (listed below), a local Service BC office (listed below), a local college or university library, or a Courthouse Library (listed below), if you have one. You may be able to get some assistance with finding your information from these locations also.

Access Pro Bono[edit]

Access Pro Bono operates free legal clinics in a number of communities throughout BC. Clients who meet the financial means test (see website for details) can receive 30 minutes of free legal advice and sometimes additional appointments. Access Pro Bono lawyers generally do not appear in court or tribunals but they can give advice, make calls, and assist with documents.
Phone 1-604-878-7400
Toll-free: 1-877-762-6664
Find on Clicklaw Access Pro Bono on Clicklaw HelpMap[edit] describes administrative tribunals — the specialized government agencies, boards and commissions that provide resolution of disputes involving government laws and how they are applied. They can hear complaints about decisions made by government agencies related to such topics as minimum wage, Employment Insurance, safety standards, telephone service rates, or rules of conduct of doctors and other professionals. The site also features a BC Administrative Law Directory which lists information and many of the decisions of over 100 federal and provincial tribunals.
Phone No phone service available

Advocacy Access Program[edit]

The Advocacy Access Program is a service of Disability Alliance BC (formerly BC Coalition of People with Disabilities) that provides information, assistance, advice, and occasional representation for people with disability-related issues such as welfare benefits for people with disabilities, Canada Pension Plan disability benefits, and the Registered Disability Savings Plan.

Website: Advocacy Access Publications has a number of fact sheets about disability-related money and income support issues.

Phone 1-604-872-1278
Toll-free: 1-800-663-1278
Find on Clicklaw Advocacy Access Program on Clicklaw HelpMap

BC Civil Liberties Association[edit]

The BC Civil Liberties Association works to maintain and extend civil liberties and human rights in Canada. In addition to public education and advocacy, the BCCLA engages in select legal actions, often involving the police or government and on the topic of civil liberties.

Website: See the Our Work page for links to handbooks, guides and reports.

Phone 1-604-687-2919
Toll-free: 1-855-556-3566
Find on Clicklaw BCCLA on Clicklaw

BC Employment and Assistance[edit]

The BC Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction's BC Employment and Assistance program administers income assistance (welfare) benefits.

Website: Their website provides links to online orientation, work search guidelines and information on fraud and appeals.

Phone Toll free: 1-866-866-0800

BC Human Rights Clinic[edit]

The BC Human Rights Clinic is operated by the Community Legal Assistance Society and funded by the BC Ministry of Justice. The Clinic provides free representation to complainants who have cases before the BC Human Rights Tribunal on a province-wide basis. Accepted applicants are assigned an advocate to assist with the early stages of a complaint.

Website: The Legal Services page under the Services menu has information on how to get advice or representation.

Phone 1-604-622-1100
Toll-free: 1-855-685-6222
Find on Clicklaw BC Human Rights Clinic on Clicklaw HelpMap

BC Laws[edit]

The BC Laws website is maintained by the BC Queen’s Printer and includes British Columbia statutes and regulations, orders in council, and regulations bulletins. It has a simple search function, and is current seven to 14 days after changes in legislation.
Phone 1-250-387-6409
Toll-free: 1-800-663-6105

BC Society of Transition Houses[edit]

The BC Society of Transition Houses offers support to the programs and services who work with women who have experienced violence. The programs and services the BCSTH supports include transition and safe houses, safe homes, children’s and victims counseling, and violence prevention education.

Website: The Directory of Member Programs & Services is a complete listing of all its members’ programs and services across BC.

Phone 1-604-669-6943
Toll-free: 1-800-661-1040


The CanLII website offers a well-designed and comprehensive database of legislation, regulations, and court cases from across Canada. The search function can be limited to a specific province or to a federal court, and notable cases can be found through the "most cited" feature. The site includes an ebook on Wrongful Dismissal and Employment Law in the Commentary section.

Website: Hover your mouse over one of the question marks for help in using the search.

Phone No phone service available


The Clicklaw website provides a window into plain language legal information and education resources designed for the public in BC from over 25 contributor organizations, as well as selected others. Clicklaw includes a HelpMap to find those who can help with legal problems in communities across the province, and starting points for over 150 commonly asked legal questions.

Website: The Court Forms & Guides page brings together court forms and step-by-step guides for both Provincial and Supreme Court.

Phone No phone service available

Civil Resolution Tribunal[edit]

The Civil Resolution Tribunal website provides information around the processes of resolving small claims disputes under $5,000. Small claims disputes about contracts, debts, personal injury, personal property, and consumer issues will be resolved through the online tribunal from June 1, 2017.

Website: The Civil Resolution Tribunal website has news and guides for claims within the jurisdiction of the Civil Resolution Tribunal.

Phone Toll-free: 1-844-322-2292

Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP[edit]

The Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP is responsible for handling complaints against members of the RCMP. Staff provide information about the complaints process and some assistance with making a complaint.

Website: The Make a Complaint page has contact information and the online complaint form.

Website Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP
Phone Toll-free: 1-800-665-6878
TTY: 1-866-432-5837

Community Legal Assistance Society[edit]

The Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS) provides legal assistance to disadvantaged people with housing security, income security, human rights, mental health rights, and workers’ rights problems. Services include summary legal advice, support for self-represented litigants, and full representation. Their Mental Health Law Program provides advice and representation at the BC Review Panel to persons detained under the BC Mental Health Act. Their BC Human Rights Clinic provides representation to complainants who have cases before the BC Human Rights Tribunal.

Website: The Self-Help Guides page has links to guides and information sheets, including one on representing yourself in a judicial review.

Phone 1-604-685-3425
Toll-free: 1-888-685-6222
Find on Clicklaw CLAS on Clicklaw HelpMap

Consumer Protection BC[edit]

Consumer Protection BC is a watchdog for consumer complaints including unfair debt collection practices.

Website: The pages Resolving Problems and Enforcement provide more information on the complaint process, compliance, and enforcement.

Phone Toll-free: 1-888-564-9963
Find on Clicklaw Consumer Protection BC on Clicklaw

Courthouse Libraries BC[edit]

Courthouse Libraries BC provides legal information to the legal community and the public in 28 locations throughout British Columbia. Resource libraries in Vancouver and Victoria and regional libraries in Kamloops, Kelowna, Nanaimo, New Westminster and Prince George provide research assistance to clients. The library hosts the portal website Clicklaw, which provides a one-stop window into legal information and education aimed at the public in BC, as well as Clicklaw Wikibooks, featuring free plain language legal publications that are available to download in multiple formats and can also be printed.

Website: The Locations & Contact Information page has the contact information, including an email address and a list of library locations.

Phone 1-604-660-2841
Toll-free: 1-800-665-2570
Find on Clicklaw Courthouse Libraries on Clicklaw HelpMap

Courts of BC[edit]

The Courts of BC website from the provincial government provides information about Provincial and Supreme Courts, and the Court of Appeal. Links include recent judgments, contact information and resources for self-represented litigants (people going to court on their own).
Phone No phone service available
Find on Clicklaw Court Registries on Clicklaw HelpMap

Credit Counselling Society of BC[edit]

The Credit Counseling Society of BC provides information and advice to clients on the topic of debt and insolvency. Clients can take advantage of free and confidential credit counselling and debt consolidation services as well as obtain practical advice on budgeting.

Website: The Debt Help page has information about debt and insolvency counselling options.

Phone Toll-free: 1-888-527-8999

Dial-A-Law (People's Law School)[edit]

Dial-A-Law is a free service of People's Law School. The website features free information on the law in British Columbia in over 130 topic areas and includes audio recordings of all the information. Dial-A-Law information is also available for listening to on the telephone.
Phone 1-604-687-4680
Toll-free: 1-800-565-5297
Find on Clicklaw Dial-A-Law on Clicklaw HelpMap

Duty Counsel[edit]

Duty counsel services include a variety of free advice services (and some limited representation) provided by the Legal Services Society for otherwise unrepresented clients facing immediate legal challenges. See the entry at the end of the Resource List for a detailed description of Duty Counsel services.
Phone 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver)
Toll-free: 1-866-577-2525
Find on Clicklaw LSS Services on Clicklaw HelpMap

Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver[edit]

The Elizabeth Fry Society of Greater Vancouver works with women and youth who are in conflict with the law. They operate a Shoplifters' Counselling Program as well as crime prevention seminars in the Lower Mainland.
Phone 1-604-520-1166
Toll-free: 1-888-879-9593
Find on Clicklaw Elizabeth Fry Society on Clicklaw HelpMap

Employment Standards Branch of BC[edit]

The Employment Standards Branch is a part of the BC Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour. The Branch provides extensive information on the rights of employees in provincially regulated workplaces. For federally regulated workplaces, see Employment Standards (Canada) in this Guide.

Website: The Employment Standards pages have topic-specific information. Forms and Resources page has Solution Explorer (an online guide for your specific work situation) in addition to forms and factsheets. Make a Complaint page tells you how to resolve a dispute, including filing a complaint.

Phone Toll-free: 1-833-236-3700

Employment Standards (Canada)[edit]

The Labour Program of Employment and Social Development Canada offers information about employment standards for federally regulated workplaces.

Website: The Federal Labour Standards page has links to resources on specific topics, such as unjust dismissal.

Phone 1-800-641-4049

Family Justice Centres[edit]

A BC government service, Family Justice Centres have family justice counsellors who can provide information and assistance with family-related legal issues such as parenting arrangements, contact, guardianship, child and spousal support and no-contact orders. They cannot assist with strictly Supreme Court issues such as divorce or property division. Centres in Nanaimo, Victoria, Vancouver, Kamloops, Kelowna, New Westminster, Prince George, and Surrey provide legal advice through family advice lawyers. Abbotsford, Nanaimo, Surrey, Victoria, and Vancouver locations also offer expanded self-help services through the Justice Access Centres.
Phone 1-800-663-7867 (EnquiryBC, ask the operator to transfer you)
Find on Clicklaw Family Justice Centres on Clicklaw HelpMap

Family Law in BC[edit]

Family Law in BC is a Legal Services Society website that provides legal information on family law matters, including separation and divorce, child and spousal support, parenting and guardianship, child protections/removal, division of family property, and adoption.

Website: Self-help guides has information on procedures such as filing for divorce, Court forms has links to family court forms, and Who can help has information on options for assistance with family law problems.

Phone No phone service available
Find on Clicklaw Family Law in BC on Clicklaw

Family LawLINE[edit]

Family LawLINE is a service provided by the Legal Services Society. Family LawLINE lawyers give free legal advice over the phone to people with low incomes who are experiencing family law issues, providing brief "next step" advice about family law issues such as parenting time or contact/access, guardianship/custody, child and spousal support, property division, family agreements, adoption, and court procedures.

Hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Wednesdays: 9:00 am to 2:30 pm

Phone 604-408-2172
Toll-free: 1-866-577-2525
Find on Clicklaw Family LawLINE on Clicklaw HelpMap

Family Maintenance Enforcement Program[edit]

The Family Maintenance Enforcement Program helps low-income families to obtain child support and spousal support orders from ex-partners, and to enforce them.
Phone Toll-free: 1-800-668-3637
Find on Clicklaw FMEP on Clicklaw HelpMap

Federal Court of Canada[edit]

The Federal Court of Canada is Canada's national trial court which hears legal disputes arising in the federal domain, including immigration, tax, admiralty, and customs.

Website: The Information for Litigants page provides information about appearing before the Federal Court without a lawyer. The Court Process and Procedures page provides information about Federal Court rules and forms.

Phone: The Federal Court Registry in Vancouver can be reached at (604) 666-3232 or toll free at 1-800-663-2096. TDD: 604-666-9228.

Phone 1-800-663-2096

First Nations Court Duty Counsel[edit]

First Nations Court Duty Counsel gives free legal advice about having your matter transferred to First Nations Court and the charges against you.

Website: The First Nations Court page has information about their locations and how they can help you.

Phone 604-601-6074 (Greater Vancouver)
1-877-601-6066 (toll-free elsewhere in BC)
Find on Clicklaw First Nations Court Duty Counsel on Clicklaw HelpMap

Government Agent Offices[edit]

Government Agent offices are now known as Service BC. Please see Service BC.

Government of Canada's Settlement Services Directory[edit]

Government of Canada's Settlement Services Directory is a searchable database of contact information for settlement service agencies across Canada. You can search by postal code, city, or full address. Settlement agencies provide a wide range of services to immigrants and refugee claimants.
Phone No phone service available

Helpline for Children in BC[edit]

The Helpline for Children is a free 24-hour service for children, parents, or community members to call if they think a child (anyone under 19) will be or has been abused.
Phone 310-1234 (no area code needed, toll-free)
TDD: 1-866-660-0505

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada[edit]

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is the government department responsible for immigration and refugee matters in Canada.

Website: To find an IRCC office, use their directory listed on the IRCC offices page.

Phone Toll-free: 1-888-242‑2100 (from within Canada)

Law Students' Legal Advice Program[edit]

The Law Students' Legal Advice Program website contains the LSLAP Manual, an excellent source of information about the law and legal procedure on a variety of topics. LSLAP also offers resources and advice through their legal clinics in the Lower Mainland.

Website: The LSLAP Manual page has links to the chapters of the LSLAP Manual.

Phone For appointments in the Lower Mainland: 1-604-822-5791
Find on Clicklaw LSLAP Clinics on HelpMap

Lawyer Referral Service[edit]

Access Pro Bono Society of BC's Lawyer Referral Service provides referrals to lawyers in private practice who specialize in various areas of the law. Any member of the public may call this service to obtain the contact information of a lawyer who will provide a free half-hour legal consultation.
Phone 604-687-3221
Find on Clicklaw Lawyer Referral Service on HelpMap

Legal Aid Representation[edit]

The Legal Services Society provides a variety of legal aid services, including legal aid representation (getting a lawyer to take your case for free). See the entry at the end of the Resource List for a detailed description of legal aid representation.
Phone Toll-free: 1-866-577-2525
Find on Clicklaw Legal Aid Intake Offices on Clicklaw HelpMap

Legal Services Society[edit]

The Legal Services Society (LSS) provides legal aid representation, duty counsel services, the Family LawLINE, the Family Law in BC website, and free legal information through variety of publications. Among the publications they produce are Gladue Primer and Your Welfare Rights: How to Apply for Welfare. In some communities, legal information outreach workers and Aboriginal community legal workers are also available to help you find appropriate services and information.

Website: The Legal Information page explains about the information services available, and the Publications page provides links to guides, booklets, and other publications.

Phone 1-866-577-2525
Find on Clicklaw LSS on Clicklaw HelpMap

Mediate BC[edit]

Mediate BC provides information about mediation as a dispute resolution process and alternative to going to court. Services include a Court Mediation Program for Small Claims, Family Mediation, and Child Protection Mediation.
Phone 1-604-684-1300
Toll-free: 1-877-656-1300
Find on Clicklaw Mediate BC on Clicklaw


MOSAIC (Multilingual Orientation Service Association for Immigrant Communities) has multilingual services that provide support and assistance to immigrants and refugees such as interpretation services, help with settlement and finding employment.
Phone 1-604-254-9626
Find on Clicklaw MOSAIC on Clicklaw HelpMap

Native Courtworkers[edit]

The Native Courtworker and Counselling Association provides information and assistance to Aboriginal people facing criminal or youth justice matters with the police and courts. Native courtworkers assist clients in preparing for court and will provide representation by speaking on behalf of clients on guilty pleas, and occasionally at trial.

Website: The Our Team page has the contact information for different locations.

Phone 1-604-985-5355
Toll Free: 1-877-811-1190
Find on Clicklaw NCCA on Clicklaw HelpMap

Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre and Registry[edit]

Nidus Personal Planning Resource Centre and Registry is a not-for-profit organization that provides tools for writing and registering personal planning documents in the event of mental incapacity due to illness, injury, or disability.

Website: The website has fact sheets and forms for representation agreements and enduring powers of attorney.

Phone 1-604-408-7414
Find on Clicklaw Personal Planning Resource Centre and Registry on Clicklaw


The BC government's Office of the Ombudsperson (formerly "Ombudsman") provides information and assistance in making complaints against provincially-regulated government agencies or employees.

Website: The Complaints page has information about starting the complaint process.

Phone Toll-free: 1-800-567-3247
Find on Clicklaw BC Ombudsperson on Clicklaw HelpMap

Parole Board of Canada[edit]

The Parole Board of Canada is responsible for, among other things, granting record suspensions (formerly called pardons) for criminal convictions.

Website: The Record Suspension Application Guide and Forms page has the guides and forms for completing a record suspension application.

Phone 1-800-874-2652

People's Law School[edit]

People's Law School is a BC non-profit organization with recognized expertise in high-quality public legal education and information. It works to help British Columbians recognize the legal aspects of everyday situations and take action. Services include reliable, easy-to-understand information on and, webinars, print resources, and a Q+A service.
Phone 1-604-331-5400
Find on Clicklaw People's Law School on Clicklaw

Police Complaints Commissioner (BC)[edit]

The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner of BC is responsible for handling complaints against officers of municipal or tribal police forces. Staff provides information about the complaints process and some assistance with making a complaint.

Website: The How to File a Complaint page has a link to file a complaint online and a link to download a printable form.

Phone Toll-free: 1-877-999-8707


PovNet is a network of anti-poverty advocacy organizations that maintains information on legal issues and resources of interest to people living in poverty.

Website: Their online directory of community-based advocates called Find An Advocate helps you find an advocacy organization near you.

Phone No phone service available
Find on Clicklaw PovNet on Clicklaw HelpMap

Private Bar Lawyers[edit]

As well as the Lawyer Referral Service, lawyers in private practice provide three main free or low-cost services. These are free initial consultations, contingency fee agreements, and pro bono services. See the entry Private Bar Lawyers at the end of the Resource List for an explanation of these services and a description about hiring private bar lawyers.

Public Guardian and Trustee[edit]

The BC government's Public Guardian and Trustee provides services concerning the estates of children, estates without trustees or administrators, and adults who require assistance with decision-making, including those who are not mentally competent.

Phone: Outside of the Lower Mainland, call Service BC at 1-800-663-7867 and ask to be connected with the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.

Website: The Reports and Publications page includes links to publications on adult guardianship.

Phone 1-604-660-4444

Public Libraries[edit]

Public libraries are located in over 240 communities throughout BC. Most have public access computer terminals and free access to QP LegalEze, a searchable database of BC legislation, current Bills and Hansard debates. Larger libraries have legal reference books and provincial statutes and regulations. Library staff can help you find legal information in their library or online. Local library phone numbers are listed in the Yellow Pages under "Libraries."

Website: The BC government website provides a list of all public libraries and contact information.

Phone No phone service available

Residential Tenancy Branch[edit]

This Residential Tenancy Branch of the BC government administers the provincial Residential Tenancy Act. Staff provide information and some assistance to clients who are having problems with their landlords. The website has forms and good information about residential tenancy law and procedures.

Website: The website has Solution Explorer, which is an online tool to help you find information about your tenancy problem and solve your dispute. It also has links to guides and information sheets.

Phone Lower Mainland: 1-604-660-1020
Victoria: 250-387-1602
Toll-free: 1-800-665-8779

Seniors First BC (formerly BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support)[edit]

Seniors First BC (formerly BC Centre for Elder Advocacy and Support - BCCEAS) is a non-profit organization helping older adults. They operate Seniors' Legal Clinics in the Lower Mainland and a toll-free Seniors Advocacy and Information Line (SAIL) that provides information and referrals.

Website: The Resources section has fact sheets and e-books on residential care and elder abuse.

Phone 1-604-437-1940
Toll-free: 1-866-437-1940
Find on Clicklaw Seniors First BC on Clicklaw HelpMap

Service BC[edit]

Service BC offices are the business offices of the provincial government in about 60 communities in British Columbia. They have written and online pamphlets and government forms as well as public access computer terminals. Service BC staff can help with issues involving the provincial government, and refer you to an appropriate service.

Website: To locate in-person support, use the Service Finder Map to see a map of local Service BC offices.

Phone 1-604-660-2421
Toll-free: 1-800-663-7867
TDD: 1-800-661-8773

Service Canada[edit]

Service Canada is the main point of contact for information about federal government services. Staff can give contact information to make a complaint about a worker in a federal government ministry or agency. There are over 60 offices in BC.

Website: The website has links to services by subject. The Find a Service Canada Office page lets you search for in-person service by postal code or by city and has a directory of locations by province.

Phone Toll-free: 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)

Small Claims Court[edit]

Small Claims Court handles cases for amounts up to $35,000, and the court has registries in various communities in BC. As of June 1, 2017, the Civil Resolution Tribunal began resolving most small claims up to $5,000. The registries and the website provide information on procedure, rules, fees, filing, and forms.

Phone: Call Service BC at 1-800-663-7867 and ask for the Small Claims Court registry nearest you.

Phone No phone service available
Find on Clicklaw Court Registries on Clicklaw HelpMap

Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre[edit]

The Tenant Resource and Advisory Centre (TRAC) is a non-profit organization that promotes the legal protection of residential tenants across BC by providing information, education, support, and research on residential tenancy matters. TRAC's main programs and services include a Tenant Infoline, direct advocacy, legal education workshops, and online course - Renting It Right.
Phone 604-255-0546
Find on Clicklaw TRAC on Clicklaw HelpMap

Vehicle Sales Authority of BC[edit]

Vehicle Sales Authority of BC helps resolve complaints with licensed car dealers.

Website: The Fact Sheets page has information on buying a new or used car, and what to do if there is a problem. The website also has videos on buying tips, consumer FAQs, an online database of licensed dealers and salespeople, and a form to report an unregistered motor dealer (curber).

Phone 604-575-7255
Toll-free: 1-877-294-9889

Victims Info[edit]

The Victims Info website contains a broad range of information, videos and contact resources for victims and witnesses of crime. Topics include services for victims, reporting a crime, criminal charges, going to court, sentencing and more.
Phone No phone service available


VictimLINK is a phone service that provides information and referrals to all victims of crime, and crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence. They also provide information on the justice system, crime prevention, safety planning, protection order registry, and other resources. VictimLINK provides service in over 100 languages, including 17 North American aboriginal languages.
Phone Toll-free: 1-800-563-0808
TTY: 1-604-875-0885, to call collect, please call the Telus Relay Service at 711
Text: 1-604-836-6381
Find on Clicklaw VictimLINK on Clicklaw HelpMap

Vital Statistics Agency[edit]

The website of the Vital Statistics Agency of BC helps people register and order certificates that prove vital events like birth, death, change of name, and marriage. It also includes a wills registry to register the location of a will, or to search for a wills notice as part of the probate process.
Phone 1-250-952-2681

Toll-free: 1-888-876-1633

Workers' Advisers[edit]

The BC government's Workers' Advisers provide information, assistance, advice and occasional representation to clients on workers' compensation issues. There are no financial eligibility requirements but services are limited.

Website: The Contacts page has contact information of Workers' Advisers regional offices in British Columbia.

Phone 1 800 663-4261 (Lower Mainland)
1 800 663-6695 (Interior)
1 800 661-4066 (Vancouver Island)
Find on Clicklaw Workers' Advisers on Clicklaw HelpMap