How Do I Address the Lawyer When I'm Representing Myself?

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

When you're in court, you'll see the lawyers on opposing sides address each other as my friend or, in the case of lawyers who are Queen's Counsel, as my learned friend. You shouldn't do this, unless you're a lawyer too. (Besides, I doubt very much that you're going to be inclined to call the lawyer representing your ex "my friend.")

If you're representing yourself, just refer to the lawyer acting for your spouse by the lawyer's last name, as "Mr. ________" or "Ms. ________."

You can find information about what to expect in court in How Do I Conduct Myself in Court at an Application? You can find information about court processes in the chapter Resolving Your Legal Problem in Court.

This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by Thomas Wallwork, May 9, 2017.

Creativecommonssmall.png JP Boyd on Family Law © John-Paul Boyd and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.

Personal tools