How Do I Schedule a Judicial Case Conference for Hearing?

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

A judicial case conference (JCC) is a special type of hearing in the Supreme Court, involving the parties, their lawyers and a judge or master, that is intended to explore the issues in a court proceeding in the hope of finding a way to settle all or part of the proceeding. JCCs are private and held off the record, and while a recording is made of the proceedings, you'll need the judge's permission to listen to the recording at a later date.

JCCs are governed by Rule 7-1 of the Supreme Court Family Rules. You should read this rule before your JCC, especially the list of the court's powers that appears at Rule 7-1(15).

JCCs can be very helpful, especially if the judge or master is prepared to be pushy with the parties and their lawyers. It is fairly common for proceedings to settle at JCCs. Where a settlement is reached the judge will make a consent order on the spot, at the end of the hearing.

If you are married and it seems likely that you'll be able to get the court proceeding wrapped up at the JCC, if you file a court form called a registrar's certificate a couple of days before the JCC you may be able to get divorced at the JCC too.

Unlike family case conferences in the Provincial Court, JCCs are mandatory whenever a family law court proceeding has started. Except for a few limited circumstances, a JCC must be heard before the first application is heard. However, you are not limited to this first JCC. You can schedule additional JCCs as you like, within reason.

JCCs are scheduled through the trial coordinator, who will give you a list of dates to choose from. When you have a date that works for everyone, the date is reserved using a special Requisition form that the trial coordinator will supply. You must send a copy of the filed Requisition to the other side.

There is more information about judicial case conferences in the chapter, Resolving Family Law Problems in Court within the section Case Conferences in a Family Law Matter.

This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by Thomas Wallwork, May 9, 2017.

Creativecommonssmall.png JP Boyd on Family Law © John-Paul Boyd and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.

Personal tools