How Do I Tell Everyone That I'm Representing Myself?

From Clicklaw Wikibooks

It often happens that someone who was represented by a lawyer winds up representing themselves. When this happens, you must notify the other parties and the court of the change.

In cases before the Provincial Court, all you have to do is fill out a Notice of Change of Address in Form 11, file it in court, and serve copies on the other parties. You don't have to personally serve the other parties; you can mail the form to their addresses for service. It will be obvious from the change in your address that your lawyer no longer represents you.

In cases before the Supreme Court, you have to fill out a Notice of Intention to Act in Person in Form F88, file it in court, and serve copies on the other parties by ordinary service, either by mail to their addresses for service, by fax to their fax number for service, or by email to their email address for service, if they have one.

You can find more information about serving documents in the chapter Resolving Family Law Problems in Court.

This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by Megan Ellis, QC, June 11, 2019.

Creativecommonssmall.png JP Boyd on Family Law © John-Paul Boyd and Courthouse Libraries BC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada Licence.

Personal tools