Workers' Compensation Referrals (7:App C)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by the Law Students' Legal Advice Program on August 1, 2023.


Unions provide more representation for injured workers than all other sources combined. If a worker was engaged in employment under a collective agreement when injured, their union or former union should be the first resource. Some unions will even help former members with claims arising out of injuries suffered in non-union employment.

Workers’ Advisers Office (WAO)

Telephone: (604) 335-5931; Toll-free: 1 (800) 663-4261

Lower Mainland Regional Offices:
260A - 4600 Jacombs Road, Richmond, BC V6V 3B1
Fax: (604) 713-0311

Unit A250a 20161 86th Avenue, Langley, BC V2Y 2C1
Fax: (778) 705-1106

This is the primary resource for non-union workers having difficulties with the Board. The advisors have direct access to the claim file and can provide workers with detailed and confidential advice about the claim. They also offer very accessible written information for claimants.

The WAO only takes referrals by internet. Claimants must fill out the online inquiry form. They will be contacted within 2 business days to set up a telephone appointment with an Intake Administrator.

Employers’ Advisers Office

Telephone: 1 (800) 925-2233
Fax: 1 (855) 664-7993

The Employers’ Advisers Office (EAO) is a branch of the Ministry of Labour. Independent of WorkSafeBC, the EAO is a resource for employers in British Columbia, providing complimentary advice, assistance, representation educational seminars to employers, potential employers and employer associations concerning workers’ compensation issues.

Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS)

300 – 1140 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 4G1
Telephone: (604) 685-3425
Fax: (604) 685-7611
Toll-free: 1-888-685-6222

CLAS may be able to help if a client has lost their appeal to the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT) and wants WCAT to reconsider their decision, or a court to overturn the decision, and if the advocate who helped the client at WCAT can no longer assist.

WCB Main Inspection Office

6951 Westminster Highway, Richmond, BC V7C 1C6
Telephone: (604) 273-2266
Toll-free: 1-800-661-2112

Complaints about violations of health & safety regulations should be directed here.

WCB Fair Practices Office

P.O. Box 5350 Stn. Terminal, Vancouver, BC V6B 5L5
Telephone: (604) 276-3053
Fax: (604) 276-3103

This office can be contacted when all internal remedies have been unsuccessful, or if the worker has a complaint about matters that are not subject to appeal, such as rude conduct by WCB staff, failure to answer letters, or unfair procedures.

Note: Most lawyers who do WCB applications or WCAT appeals require payment in advance. For more information, please see the lawyer referral section in Chapter 22.

© Copyright 2023, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.