Workers' Compensation Referrals (7:App C)

From Clicklaw Wikibooks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This information applies to British Columbia, Canada. Last reviewed for legal accuracy by the Law Students' Legal Advice Program on July 21, 2022.


Unions provide more representation for injured workers than all other sources combined. If a worker was engaged in employment under a collective agreement when injured, their union or former union should be the first resource. Some unions will even help former members with claims arising out of injuries suffered in non-union employment.

Workers’ Advisors Offices (WAO)

  • This is the primary resource for non-union workers having difficulties with the Board. The advisors have direct access to the claim file and provide workers with detailed, confidential advice about the claim. They also offer very accessible written information for claimants.
  • The WAO only takes referrals by internet. Claimants must fill out the online inquiry form at the following website: They will be contacted within 2 business days to set up a telephone appointment with an Intake Administrator.
Online Website

Lower Mainland Regional Offices:

Address 500-8100 Granville Avenue
Richmond, BC V6Y 3T6
Phone (604) 713-0360
Toll-free within BC: 1-800-663-4261
Fax: (604) 713-0311

Address 204 - 32555 Simon Avenue
Abbotsford, BC V2T 4Y2
Phone (604) 870-5488
Toll-free: 1-888-295-7781
Fax: (604) 870-5494

Employers’ Advisors Office

Online Website
Phone (604) 713-0303
Toll-free within BC and Alberta: 1-800-925-2233
Fax: (604) 713-0345

Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS)

  • CLAS may be able to help if a client has lost their appeal to the Worker’s Compensation Appeal Tribunal (WCAT) and wants the WCAT to reconsider their decision, or a court to overturn the decision; and if the advocate who helped the client at WCAT cannot assist anymore.
Online Website
Address 300 – 1140 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 4G1
Phone (604) 685-3425
Fax: (604) 685-7611
Toll-free: 1-888-685-6222

WCB Main Inspection Office

  • Complaints about violations of health & safety regulations should be directed here.
Address 6951 Westminster Highway
Richmond, BC V7C 1C6
Phone (604) 273-2266
Toll-free (outside Vancouver): 1-800-661-2112

WCB Fair Practices Office

  • This office can be contacted when all internal remedies have been unsuccessful or if the worker has a complaint about matters that are not subject to appeal, such as rude conduct by WCB staff, failure to answer letters, or unfair procedures.
  • Most lawyers who do WCB applications or WCAT appeals require payment in advance. For more information please see the lawyer referral section in Chapter 22.
Address Street Address: 6951 Westminster Highway, Richmond, BC V7C 1C6
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 5350 Stn. Terminal, Vancouver, BC V6B 5L5
Phone (604) 276-3053
Fax (604) 276-3103

© Copyright 2023, The Greater Vancouver Law Students' Legal Advice Society.